PROJECT CONSTRUCTION UPDATE
A number of key activities will take place on the Kingsford Smith Drive upgrade in January 2017.
Land-based activities between Amy and Theodore Streets will include:
- street light and traffic signal work
- road widening and drainage activities on Cooksley and Yulestar Streets
- service location and relocation works, including temporary lane and road closures (see below)
- major earthworks and drainage installation
- start of restoration of the war memorial at Cameron Rocks Reserve
- retaining wall construction at Hamilton Recreation Reserve
- centre median removal.
Marine construction activities will include:
- installation of scour protection devices
- excavation of the existing river bank retaining wall
- ground improvement works
- preparation for piling including construction of a rock platform and access ramps
- production of precast concrete segments that will be used in the river walk structure.
What to expect
Work will involve:
- the use of construction equipment including excavators, trucks, compaction equipment, road saws, vacuum excavators, bitumen, concrete trucks, small cranes, barges and lighting towers
- noise associated with the use of construction equipment
- increase in light and heavy vehicle movements associated with construction activities
- vehicles and equipment with flashing lights and white noise (non-tonal) reversing beepers for the safety of onsite workers
- changed traffic conditions including lane, footpath and parking closures, as required
- traffic control and signage to direct pedestrians, cyclists and motorists as required
- reduced speed limits on both Kingsford Smith Drive and the Brisbane River
- increased barge movements across the river.
Work on Sunday – KSD changed traffic conditions
From 7am to 7pm over two consecutive Sundays in January 2017, Kingsford Smith Drive will be reduced to one lane in each direction between Harbour Road and Nudgee Road to allow for underground service relocations and stormwater drainage installation.
This work will take place on:
- Sunday 15 January 2017
- Sunday 22 January 2017.
These works have been scheduled during the day to minimise the impact and duration of ongoing night works on the local community.
In the event of wet weather, this activity will occur on the next suitable Sunday.
During this work, traffic control will be in place on Kingsford Smith Drive and side streets to assist motorists and pedestrians to travel safely through work areas. Visit www.ksdupgrade.com.au for more information.
Relocation of services – local traffic impacts
During January 2017, relocation and installation of underground services including gas, electricity, water and telecommunications will continue.
This work will take place at a number of locations including:
- Yulestar Street
- Cooksley Street
- Harbour Road
- Seymour Road
- Nudgee Road
- Remora Road
- Kingsford Smith Drive at various locations.
During this work, traffic control, including temporary lane and parking closures may be required. Directly adjacent residents and businesses will be notified prior to work starting.
Temporary road closure at Seymour Road, Hamilton
Seymour Road will be temporarily closed at Kingsford Smith Drive in both directions from Sunday 29 January 2017 for approximately two weeks.
The closure is required to install stormwater drainage and water infrastructure at the intersection of Seymour Road and Kingsford Smith Drive.
For detailed detour maps and more information about these road closures, download the notice via the Kingsford Smith Drive Upgrade website.
Construction activities will take place from 7am-6pm, Monday to Friday and from 8am-1pm on Saturday.
Due to traffic permit requirements, some work must take place at night between 8pm and 5am, Sunday to Friday. If any out-of-hours work is required, Lendlease will directly notify residents in the vicinity of the works.
There will also be some barge movements required outside standard hours due to tide levels on the Brisbane River.
Register for construction updates
With works increasing across the site in 2017, the project team encourages nearby residents to register for updates at www.ksdupgrade.com.au
To register for SMS alerts prior to high impact work near your property, contact the team on 1800 084 383 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org